Reuben Rants No 1: Fast Food, freedom and “think of the kids”

This post was written by Reuben Bard-Rosenberg on January 26, 2010
Posted Under: Food

Ok so I have just made what I hope will be the first in a series of Third Estate video blogs. I hope you enjoy :) .

Sam

‘…especially the ones at risk from obesity’ lol, put very diplomatically.

Written By Sam on January 26th, 2010 @ 12:52 am
Reuben

LOL I was quite proud of that comment

Written By Reuben on January 26th, 2010 @ 1:19 am
John

It is generally considered best to position a camera below or on a level with the subject for those to camera pieces, and you clinical arrangement of branded items in the background I find a bit heavy handed.

Written By John on January 26th, 2010 @ 2:02 am
Michael

As an inhabitant of the vast resedential desert that is the North Cambridge, the idea that resedential areas should have fewer greasy spoons seems problematic (perhaps florists count for -1 greasy spoons).

I would also like to break with the main theme of the video slightly and say that fast food outlets one level above the most basic “cardboard chips, reconstituted chicken and MEAT” type would be an improvement.

You sound surprisingly like Ben Goldacre.

Written By Michael on January 26th, 2010 @ 8:29 am

I remember when I was at school reaching year 11 where one of the (few) priviledges was to be allowed to venture into the town at lunchtimes and without fail we would head straight to the chippy for a ‘Toby’s Special’ (battered sausage and chips £1.20). That was a good mile away from the school. Kids in my day had to travel to get their carbs.

Also, tidy your room!

Written By Alan on January 26th, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Tubbies Special we used to call them, mighty fine. I still miss Beccles fish and chips when I go to other parts of the country…

Written By Salman Shaheen on January 26th, 2010 @ 1:26 pm
Julia

This made me laugh, but it’s a serious issue — or rather two issues. You’re right to challenge the control freakery and deceptive/manipulative tactics of government but political so-called leaders being complete bastards doesn’t make fast food a good thing.
You’re right, too, about choice, but you should know what you’re choosing. You might find you no longer fancy a burger made of random bits of hundreds of cows, lightly seasoned with manure. Have a look at this trailer

Written By Julia on January 27th, 2010 @ 2:48 pm
Jacob

The problem, Julia, is that the video is clearly grasping at straws:

1) Ok so trans fats aren’t great for you, but let’s be honest, they’re in all sorts of other things we eat. And they’re cheap, and I’d rather have a well fed slightly less healthy population than an underfed population. And again, in moderation, trans fats aren’t too much of a problem.

2) This thing about burgers travelling miles with “artificial preservatives” – well thank fuck they use the preservatives. The burgers wouldn’t last much without them, and the use of artificial here is just a fetishisation of the natural. Oh, and it’s considerably better for the environment (waste and energy) than, say, vacuum packing.

3) well obviously we have guidelines about what can be sold as food, and if manure is involved then it’s illegal.

4) The only criticism that is good here is about workers’ rights, but this, as far as I understand it, is a question of relations of production rather than the quality of the commodities that they are producing. I mean workers in an all-natural organic our-cows-get-to-run-around-a-magical-forest-and-feast-on-daffodils burger factory might get shat on too.

Written By Jacob on January 27th, 2010 @ 5:59 pm
Reuben

Jacob said much if what needed to be said. I would also say that informed consent is the concept that people wheel out every time people make choices others dislike. I think most people know that burgers are bad fir you and made out of manky shit. As I suggest in the video they choose ti buy them because the pleasure and convenience, for them, outweighs the risk to their health.

Written By Reuben on January 27th, 2010 @ 7:54 pm