How should the left feel about social filth?

This post was written by Reuben Bard-Rosenberg on February 10, 2010
Posted Under: Criminal Justice,Uncategorized

Apologies for the deliberately provocative title but over recent weeks I have become increasingly pissed off. A few weeks ago my room was turned over after my house was broken into. The burglars were targetting a working class neighbourhood. Last night one of my good friends had her bag nicked. It was an incident which generated minimal material gain for the robber, but seriously disrupted this young woman’s life – who at 10pm was left without her front door keys and much else. When I get on the bus I can’t sit quietly reading a book because some neanderthals have decided to mark out their territory by blasting out bad music.

The standard line on the far left has been to argue that crime is caused by soial conditions, or by “alienation” – a word that gets used very elastically to connect any form of undesirable behaviour to the socio-economic structure – and that the answer is to challenge capitalism. Yet if such approach touches on a basic truth, it is also massively insufficient. Apart from anything, many people, many ordinary people have to get through their daily lives between now and the new dawn. And I stress ordinary because most petty criminals are not robin hood figures. Indeed the burden of crime falls most heavily on the working class. It is people messing up the lives of the low paid. And it is also attacks on our communal infrastructure, on those parts of the economy which have been socialised. It is our public transport that is vandalized, our pavements which are made to feel unsafe.

Equally, there comes a point at which attempts to trace criminal behaviour back to a social cause begin to seem a bit desperate, As one sociologist once noted, this is especially the case with “non-utilitarian crime”, that is to say, crime which is of no material benefit to the criminal. A few weeks ago I was walking around north london when a teenager demanded I give him my stuff. I said no and he quickly relaised he wasnt going to get anything so instead he changed tack and started shouting at me to run, indeed getting rather irate with me for not running or showing fear. (When he yelled “this is north london not south london” I elected not  to inform him that the former implied the latter.) But anyway, this incident – and others like it – give me the impression that a lot of streetcrime is motivated as much by the desire to go on a bit of  a masculine trip,  to make real certain gendered fantasies,  as it is by basic material ends.

So how should we feel about “social filth”? Should we apply to them the old labour maxim of “the many not the few”, and stand on the side of the decent many? Was John Major right in his call for a bit more condemnation? Should the left take the attitude that it already takes to certain crimes – hatecrimes and rape – and call on the police to do more about street  scum?

Tags:

According to Harriet, we are all equal. Also, calling black people on the bus expressing their indigenous culture “Neanderthals” is racist. Calling thugs “masculine” when they try and mug you is also sexist.

Please report to room 101 for “reprogramming”.

Welcome to the real world, sucker.

Written By Old Holborn on February 10th, 2010 @ 11:39 am
JH

Ooooh, the wheel is turning isn’t it. FINALLY the left starts to realise that lobbing money at scrotes to produce more scrotes leads to unfavourable outcomes, rather than some socialist utopia of grateful labour voting drones.

AS PJ O’Rourke said, a Democrat is a Republican who has never been mugged.

Written By JH on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:24 pm
Joe Shmo

Surely there must be some socio-economic, diversity-related, community-based something or other that will fix this?

Written By Joe Shmo on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

So this is what happens when The Third Estate gets linked to on Old Holborn and Guido’s comment’s section. King Chillout you are a moron. If electoral evidence is anything to go by the BNP are not in touch with the vast majority of how real people feel.

Half expected the liberal whose been mugged cliche – but seriously its a massive fucking cliche that illuminates nothing in this discussion.

Written By Reuben on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Also in response to Old Holborn’s comment could I please make clear that I said nothing about “black people”. When i described music blasters as marking out their territory like neandertals, i meant simply that it seemed like some kind of primitive ritual wherein the boys blasting out mmusic challenged people to take issue with them and demonstratedd that the top deck was “their territory”that they did what they wanted etc. Skin colour is irrelevant here.

Written By Reuben on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:39 pm
Billy Boy

The ‘Left’ are as moronic as the ‘right’
Sh*t happens to anyone, at anytime!
Get a life.

Written By Billy Boy on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

Woah Billy Boy, whata brilliant and enlightening comment. When you put it like that it is asthough cobwebs have cleared before my eyes and my whole blogpost now seems pointless.

Written By Reuben on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:58 pm
Michael

On the causes of anti-social behaviour I think you may be in a false dichotomy. There is no contradiction in saying that alienation makes people more likely to commit senseless crimes in response to other psycological issues.

In terms of how we should react to such crimes I see your point. Certainly I agree that we should not feel guilty about condemning unpleasant behaviour, or about wanting to deal with it directly as well as dealing with whatever we analyse as the root cause.

None of which gets any closer to what policy we should support for dealing with people who commit such crimes. You talk about calling on the police to do more, to which I have to ask do more what? Bearing in mind that I don’t particularly trust the police, what powers do we really want to give them when it comes to crimes that do not qualify for a spell in a young offenders institute.

As of yet I do not have a positive opinion of my own (a situation I always find distressing). hopefully the combined wisdom of the internets will provide.

Written By Michael on February 10th, 2010 @ 12:59 pm
Michael

I should point out that the last sentance of my previous comment was written before I had seen the posts of messers JH SHMO Chillout and Boy.

Written By Michael on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

LOL i was just thinking that.

Written By Reuben on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

UI have just deleted three posts advocating support for the bnp. Please Tories post all you want, we generally have a free comments policy – but anybody wanting to use this place as a platform to promote the bnp is not welcome.

Written By Reuben on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:06 pm
Billy Blofeld

Step 1: Move house.

Step 2: Find an area that has been less affected by Labour’s policies.

Step 3: Re-build life.

Written By Billy Blofeld on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:16 pm
lollapalooza

“Bearing in mind that I don’t particularly trust the police, what powers do we really want to give them when it comes to crimes that do not qualify for a spell in a young offenders institute.”

The filth need to be able to march the young offender to the cash point machine to pay an on the spot fine: a no-brainer.

“working class neighbourhood”: define.

“the working class”: define.

Written By lollapalooza on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Well again, Reuben, I don’t understand what you’re actually advocating. Are you simply saying “the left” should adopt a policy on name-calling? Or do you think the left don’t mind crime? Are you actually saying that the right has a clearer understanding of crime, as evinced by its use of words like neanderthal and scum, in which case I guess their “them-and-us” policies will prove more efficient at tackling it? Has that been the case? That’s the point. Hasn’t crime fallen? On that evidence it seems the desire of “the left” to see an end to crime is at least as great as the desire of “the right” and the supposition that a liberal has never been mugged is, obviously, worthless. The liberal just didn’t take it personally. So where are your figures? WHAT’S YOUR POINT? Most of the time criminals are criminals not because they need an income but because they need an identity. Call them filth if you want to, that’s fine, but how does it help?

Written By SIMON on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:38 pm
May 6th can't come quickly enough

Well, well, well.

Y’see, when you’re talking about people that can’t, won’t, adhere to the rules of society, all this ‘what about their backgrounds’ hand wringing isn’t going to reform them. Giving them an excuse and going easy on them just makes them more violent, more likely to commit crime.

I *really* hope every ‘New’ Labour apologist gets mugged/robbed, so they can witness first hand the damage they have done to this country with their dreadful social engineering program.

Remember your beloved Blair: ‘tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime’? What happened? Or was that just the usual New Labour hot air and bluster.

Here’s the reality: violent, thieving scum should be locked up to protect the rest of us. They have no rights.

Written By May 6th can't come quickly enough on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:43 pm
Michael

I agree that on the spot fines are a good deterrant and entirely reasonable in terms of magnitude. The part which very much is a brainer is that there is pretty much no precident for a police force anywhere in the world that does not abuse its powers. Many of the crimes Reuben was talking about are not precisely defined enough to avoid a large discretionary element which, in my view, the police simply cannot be trusted with.

Written By Michael on February 10th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm
Nick2

The question should not be ‘should we give the Police more powers’, but ‘Should we not ask the Police to use the powers they already have more effectively’?

A close friend had an unpleasant experience in an almost empty bus on North London last year – a youth marched up the empty bus to him, demanded he moved to another row of seats then spent over 5 minutes issuing death threats against him. When another female passenger remonstrated with the youth, he walked over to her, pushed her head back and said ‘you’re next, you white b***ch’. The passengers collectively demanded that the driver stopped the bus and called the Police, which he eventually did so. They didn’t turn up for at least 30 mins and so eventually the bus had to be emptied. My friend had a photo of the youth (taken after he left the bus), names/phone numbers of other passengers willing to make statements, the numbers of the driver & the bus, and the Police when subsequently advised of this still weren’t interested.

So maybe North London _is_ the new South London…

Written By Nick2 on February 10th, 2010 @ 2:02 pm
Dick the Prick

Those dastardly petty entrepreneurs. You know they may have kids and you just refuse to theeenk about theeee cheeellldreeen! Heartless, truly heartless.

Written By Dick the Prick on February 10th, 2010 @ 2:20 pm
Michael

Nick2: I agree with you in the case you described. In many cases we can staightforwardly ask that the police make more of an effort. The problem is that in the case you describe that guy in question would presumably have ended up in front of a magistrate (if the police were doing their job properly), which is as it should be in a case of threatening behaviour. Taking the example Reuben gave of people engaging in behaviour with essentially the same motive, but by the slightly less direct means of playing music too loudly, or any number of other unpleasant behaviours that don’t exactly fall into arrestable offences, taking all of them before a magistrate is not practicable. It is these cases where I have a dilemma.

Even with more definite crimes, where arrest prosecution isn’t an issue, there is still the problem of how effective current rehabilitation methods are, and on how many people there are the resources to use them. Again, I am in the awkward pposition of not having a definite opinion.

Written By Michael on February 10th, 2010 @ 2:33 pm
Lord Greyson

Oh Missus!

Written By Lord Greyson on February 10th, 2010 @ 3:16 pm
blandish

“any number of other unpleasant behaviours that don’t exactly fall into arrestable offences”

The filth can arrest you for anything, anything at all, under any number of powers supposedly to prevent terrorism or pedophilia or simply to harvest your DNA. Thanks, Tony; thanks, Gordon.

The reason why ZaNuLiebor hate the BNP so much is because the BNP attracts so many formerly staunch Labour voters. Again, thanks to Tony and Gordon.

Written By blandish on February 10th, 2010 @ 3:21 pm
Owen again

As partially demonstrated by the replies to this blog, middle class people are in fact worse than any of the tossers mentioned in the article.

Written By Owen again on February 10th, 2010 @ 3:40 pm
Winston

Wha Tony Blair ‘da bloodclat doin nah?

Written By Winston on February 10th, 2010 @ 3:55 pm
asd

This post is just one big bottle of whine. One minute you are talking about causes of crime, next minute you are crying out loud about youths playing music on the bus. It’s a bleedin’ BUS – if you don’t like riff raff then why don’t you take a taxi like Lord Fotherington Thomas. Next minute I’m sure you’ll be complaining about “hoodies” on street corners. Can I also note that there is not one statistic in this poor excuse for journalism. Every piece of ‘evidence’ is a bleeding-heart anecdote. In conclusion, it seems that your article is more about your frustration at the inability to control your own environment than any kind of serious discussion about crime.

Written By asd on February 10th, 2010 @ 4:07 pm
Hetroman!

“When I get on the bus I can’t sit quietly reading a book because some neanderthals have decided to mark out their territory by blasting out bad music.”

Welcome to my World ~ wont you come on in…

Frankly its not the blacks by us, but the white niggers!
You know the type… we all do. And whats worse most of ‘em support the BNP (!!!!)

Written By Hetroman! on February 10th, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

Yeah… this post is doing the rounds of the righty blogosphere, usually with the “Lefty who’s been mugged” cliche.

But just because something’s a cliche doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Most of us on the right see the welfare state as the ultimate cause of the Atomisation of society. The absence of a need to get a job perversely subsidises crime as young men need something stimulating to do, and mugging or burglary certainly is stimulating.

And you rightly point out that the working poor who live amongst the feral scum suffer the most. And it is rich leftists in power who have done most to create the lack of condemnation and weak police response to this sort of crime because of “social causes” and other equivocation.

So whether or not you’ll ever think of yourself as a Conservative, you’ve made a big step today towards thinking like one!

Welcome.

Written By Jackart on February 10th, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Thank you, jackart for offering a response that is a million times more cogent than you manic-ten-year-old Tory brethren. Am on a train but will offer a proper response to yourself and that ridiculous add/p figure in due course.

Written By Reuben on February 10th, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

All these crappy labour-social projects will continue unabated following the next GE.
Cameron will continue where Brown and his rich cronies leave off.

Welcome to Blue Labour my friends, full of the same anti-working class policies as NuLab.

Written By Derek on February 10th, 2010 @ 4:41 pm
Drake

@Derek

NuLab may be anti-working class but they’re very keen on immigration for ‘social’ purposes, namely to boost the number of Labour voters as their traditional supporters turn to the BNP. See here:

Written By Drake on February 10th, 2010 @ 5:29 pm
JH

Oh well, at least us Righties who have come to point and snigger will boost your pagerank. What is your maximum number of comments for a single article prior to this?

Written By JH on February 10th, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Reuben, that’s an interesting point you make about a “masculinity trip” – I’d have thought a link, via ideology, back to the socio-economic inequalities and the control of ideology dissemination by a minority, would be self-evident?

Written By Dave Semple on February 10th, 2010 @ 6:30 pm
Paddy

I’ve been beaten up by the police after stating I wasn’t resisting arrest, wonder how many conservatives would turn lib or radical after that? I’ve been mugged too and there will always be petty crime and violence no matter what society one envisions. I don’t mind standing up for myself when faced with some stupid ned trying to take my wallet or knife me, but I have a real problem if that ned has a badge and a gun along with an agenda. Letting a personal incident change your view of the government is self centered. The government is there to spend public resources and if you vote conservative because you want to ‘get that bloke wot annoys me on the bus’ then you’re a selfish prick. Schools, health and housing are the issues that should sway beliefs in how we should run society. Vote with your head, not your heart.

Written By Paddy on February 10th, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

This is very disappointing, on a number of levels. I confess to not being overly interested in this debate, but it is particularly depressing how Reuben’s attempt to raise interesting questions has been derailed by morons.

But to try to make a wider point, I think you jump too quickly to the Police. There are many non-Police jobs that are important in these kinds of situations and have disappeared. Putting conductors back on buses, recruiting more park attendants etc, would go a long way to helping here, as well as creating thousands of jobs.

Written By Dan on February 10th, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

I should add I wrote this before I read Paddy’s comment, which, if a bit bombastic, is spot on.

Written By Dan on February 10th, 2010 @ 7:02 pm
JH

Paddy, since when are the police the sole agents of the right wing? Labour has introduced countless laws, promised more police, killed and assaulted innocent people in the ‘Summer of Rage’ etc… why would that make people turn to the leftists who already constitute the government at the time?

Throughout history, it is under leftist authoritarian governments where the Police get really naughty. It is only then that the PC Delroy Smellies of this world really get into their stride.

Written By JH on February 10th, 2010 @ 7:08 pm
AdamP

Written By AdamP on February 10th, 2010 @ 7:30 pm
AdamP

JH, I confess I’m somewhat amused by your description of Labour as ‘leftists’… And it’s not so much the police getting more violent under the leftist authoritarian government in this country, it’s just personalised media has made it much harder to ignore (compare the police, and subsequent media, reaction to strikes in the 80s or even to the Countryside Alliance march in early 2000s).

Written By AdamP on February 10th, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

I can’t believe crims rob do-gooders as well as ordinary people, that is disgusting. Surely right on Lefties should be safe from crime unlike the rest of us.

Written By Road_Hog on February 11th, 2010 @ 2:28 am

Why is there so little sympathy coming from the right-wingers here? We may disagree politically, but I wouldn’t laugh if I saw you bleeding in a gutter. Come on, we’re all human beings here…

Written By Salman Shaheen on February 11th, 2010 @ 2:44 am

I feel I should respond to ASD/P’s ridiculous post.

“This post is just one big bottle of whine. One minute you are talking about causes of crime, next minute you are crying out loud about youths playing music on the bus. ” Dont be silly – this was one anecdote of several. The others concerned burglary and robbery.

“It’s a bleedin’ BUS – if you don’t like riff raff then why don’t you take a taxi like Lord Fotherington Thomas.”

No, actually I think that people who cant afford to taxi it everywhere have the right to travel in some comfort. This is hardly a bizarre and unfeasable expectation. I mean the great mass of bus users – across the social spectrum – not only manage to where headphones if they want to listen to music, but as I noted in an earlier post are generally extremely considerate to their fellow passengers. This is not about wanting inslute the elite from the rif raf, but the many from ther shitty few.

“Can I also note that there is not one statistic in this poor excuse for journalism. Every piece of ‘evidence’ is a bleeding-heart anecdote.”

I noted that crime falls disporportionately on the working class. I could have probably found statistics to baqck it, but I couldn’t be asked, it was a fucking blog post.

“In conclusion, it seems that your article is more about your frustration at the inability to control your own environment than any kind of serious discussion about crime.” Well the main points concern not my ability to “control my environment” but to excersize some degree of care over my own person and personal property – ie not eing robbed, burgled ,physically threatened.
I know that you have posted anonymously before. I doubt i will get a response seeing as you tend to flee any substantive discussion.

Written By Reuben on February 11th, 2010 @ 3:11 am

Paddy you are flaming a straw man. I never said anything about voting conservative over this or anything else. So drop suggesting that i am potentially a “selfish prick”. Tosser.

Written By Reuben on February 11th, 2010 @ 3:13 am
Shana

Deleting posts. What a totalitarian.

Written By Shana on February 11th, 2010 @ 5:13 am
ERM

Deleting comments? You’ll really encourage open debate & problem solving that way won’t you?

Written By ERM on February 11th, 2010 @ 8:47 am

Shana, youare joking right?

This blog is not society at alrge. People can excersize their free speech by starting up their own blog. We have no obligation to provide everybody with a platform. For the record I deleted a few posts advocating support for the bnp.

Written By Reuben on February 11th, 2010 @ 10:56 am
Elly

Hi Reuben,
I haven’t read the other responses (44 seemed a bit much for me!) so apologies if this is repetitive.

This is a really interesting question. I agree the left needs a more nuanced approach to the question of crime. What interested me was the part at the end where you mentioned rapists and hate crime-ers. I think our approach here needs to be more detailed than it already is; realising that rape and hate crime are as much products of our society and material conditions as other types of crime. The calls to ‘lock up rapist scum’ are justified to the extent that the rape conviction rate is disgustingly low (hovering around 5% last time I checked) but it also ignores the fact that people clearly aren’t pre-programmed rapists or racists, but that it comes out of a combination of gendered and raced social norms and, yes, alienation; I do believe that people who feel detached from the world around them due to their unequal and oppressive relationship to it are more likely to take it out on the world around them, with little regard to the communities it affects. This is in part why crime is sometimes targeted at working-class communities – because there sense of community is lacking, due to the fall in trade union organising, unsociable working hours and a rise in temporary agency work.

And just on a personal note – I don’t think people playing music on the bus is the worst thing to complain about, and certainly not on the same scale as muggings and burglaries. It’s a minor inconvenience at worst.

Elly x

Written By Elly on February 11th, 2010 @ 11:29 am
john in cheshire

Reuben,

As a novice to this site, could you please tell me what is wrong with the BNP? And why they and their supporters should be censored by you?

Written By john in cheshire on February 11th, 2010 @ 1:51 pm
Jacob

John, we at The Third Estate would like to have as free and open a debate as possible, and if that means taking down comments that either espouse hate or demand support for fascist organisations then that’s what we will do. We don’t have a strict comments policy, but BNP members can pay for their own web hosting.

Written By Jacob on February 11th, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

John, to put it very simply we don’t like their politics :) . Since this is a not a public square, or speakers corner, but a voluntary initiative, we do not have to give any more justification than that. Seriously though, I doubt, as he claims, a “novice to this site” who simply wants to know “what is is wrong with the bnp” and why we “censor” them. This is a standard far right tactic for intervening in discussions.

Written By Reuben on February 11th, 2010 @ 2:34 pm
cornyborny

Another ‘righty’ here to attack your post, Reuben, via one of those horrid and inexplicably popular libertarian sites. Delete my comment if you like, but that won’t make me change my opinions any.

To answer the “deliberately provocative” (oooh!) title question directly: lefties should cherish each and every one of them as 1) you have collectively (ha) spent the past hundred years creating them, and 2) they provide your sole raison d’être. Just think. You all might have to get proper jobs if things actually improved.

A terse response, yes. But then your post merits such. It may have felt like a brilliantly insightful treatise when you exuded it but to me it reads like a mediocre GCSE Sociology essay, all half-grasped theories and stumbling speculation. I do hope you’re not actually an adult.

Written By cornyborny on February 11th, 2010 @ 2:50 pm
Billy Blofeld

Reuben,

Your distaste for the BNP is palpable.

The current leadership of the Labour party are, of course, the fuel that makes the BNP successful.

The fastest way to extinguish the BNP, is to do a hit job on senior figures in the Labour party. If you are holding a whip round to pay for the hits, let me know. I don’t mind chipping in.

Written By Billy Blofeld on February 11th, 2010 @ 2:50 pm
Hugh Miller

@REUBEN “The burglars were targetting a working class neighbourhood”

And do you think it is OK for burglars to target other neighbourhoods? Which people in particular do you not mind having to suffer robbery? Doctors? Lawyers? Teachers? Train Drivers? All of these people earn more than the average wage which technically qualifies them as at least middle class.

I had a friend who was terribly innocent as a teenager and he joined the SWP after his experiences at Wapping and some other 80′s picket lines. He once said to me something along the lines of:

‘It would be great to live in a socialist society where everyone pulled together, but some people are just wasters and thugs’

Which I think fairly neatly sums up exactly why the left have it so wrong, their politics do not fit over the human condition, just over an idealistic version of it.

@DAN “There are many non-Police jobs that are important in these kinds of situations and have disappeared. Putting conductors back on buses, recruiting more park attendants etc, would go a long way to helping here, as well as creating thousands of jobs.”

Do you plan on paying higher travel costs, entry fees to parks etc. or will these jobs be created out of that bottomless pit of money we have available to us? Remember you are proposing state jobs that are a drain on the available resource, so you may find it hard to justify the cost over benefit. Although socialists tend not to think like that do they? Money is just something you print more of when you run out isn’t it?

Written By Hugh Miller on February 11th, 2010 @ 3:25 pm
ya average englishman

So you got threatened and a girl you know got robbed, whoopy dee doo……..

You shall reap as you sew….

Seems the muggers weren’t shit scared of that ASBO cetificate you were going to reward them ?

Written By ya average englishman on February 11th, 2010 @ 5:06 pm
Mandlebum

Perhaps the mugger was on a new labour initiative!

Written By Mandlebum on February 11th, 2010 @ 6:09 pm
LoveKarl

Until the consciousness of the Proletariat is raised to recognise true class enemies, then the disease effects of the failure of capitalism will cause this deviant behaviour. It is the duty of all those working for the victory of the Proletariat over the boss-class to help educate our brothers and sisters to concentrate their energies towards seizing back wealth from those who have stolen it from the Proletariat, by squatting and occupying their houses, by releiving them of their Rolexes and Blackberries, by using their fine cars and credit cards.

The Brothers who play their mobiles on the bus are merely reclaiming public space for the Proletariat from the chains of slavery of ‘correct’ capitalist behaviour and the correct response is to clap and tap your feet in support.

Written By LoveKarl on February 12th, 2010 @ 10:19 am

satire fail

Written By Reuben on February 12th, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Reuben, I’m sure you’ve moved on from this long ago, but if you are interested, a small discussion of this post broke out when I linked to it at my place:

Written By BobFromBrockley on March 10th, 2010 @ 12:22 pm
Matt

I knew someone who was slightly built, with white hair. Looked like he was in his 60s.

He wasn’t. He was a Royal Marine unarmed combat instructor. Ouch for two muggers.

Written By Matt on May 3rd, 2010 @ 10:45 pm